Monday, September 20, 2010

chicken chimichangas!!

I really love Mexican food. I might have an addiction but that is ok with me. I especially love chicken chimichangas. Guess what - I am going to tell you how to make them at home.

WARNING - "recipes", per se, are not my thing. I dont measure anything so mostly I will just tell you which ingredients I use and show some pictures. I will start with a pic of the finished dish...hopefully this will persuade you to finish reading and forgive my lack of culinary detail...


yummy right?? start off by throwing the following into your trusty crock pot...you do have a crock pot right? :)

onion: I used yellow but I usually use vidalia. white will work too
pablano pepper: the ones they had in the grocery were huge so I just used 1, sometimes I use 2
chicken: I like boneless skinless breast but any cut will work for this
chicken broth/stock or water: Of course the broth gives more flavor, you dont need to cover these in liquid just come about half way up the chicken
salt and pepper of course :)

You should have something like this:


My chicken was partially frozen and after 3 hours on high I had this:


Pull the meat out and shred, drain and add the veggies to the shredded meat
place about 1/2 cup or so onto the middle of a 12" flour tortilla
brush the edges of the tortilla with an egg wash (egg whites and water) to help seal this before hitting the skillet
wrap the chimichanga as illustrated below









I know, I have mad folding skills, right? hehe


Now just fry them up! I pan fry them in about 1/2" canola oil for just a few minutes on each side


for the "special sauce" I cheat and buy this stuff at walmart...honestly, I have tried MANY recipes to make this cheese and it NEVER turns out for me. It either breaks, clumps up or is gritty. If you have a recipe for the yummy white, restaurant style cheese please give it up! Until then, canned cheese it is...just warm it up in the microwave.


traditionally I think you are supposed to have rice and beans...I do like rice and beans but they really deter from the amount of chips I am able to devour. You want delicious chips and salsa too?? EASY! Send your hubby to the local Mexican restaurant and order them :)


ENJOY!
Let me know if you try them!

blessings, tai

3 comments:

Faith, Trust, and a Little Pixie Dust said...

Hello Tai, Thanks so much for visiting my blog & for the nice comments. This looks so delicious & I never knew how to make them. I'm definitely going to try it! Thanks for sharing.

Warmly, Michelle

~*Jess*~ said...

Wow Tai! Very impressive :)

kateynoelle said...

So, I randomly was directed to your blog the other day (via tatertots and jello, I think...but I"m not sure), and stumbled upon this recipe. I tried it tonight, and it was amazing. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...