Thursday, January 20, 2011

fingerless gloves from leg warmers tutorial

This is one of my favorite things I have created in quite a while and they were sooo simple! I think I only have about an hour in them and most of that was deciding the embellishments! (Always such a dilemma) ... Some people say fingerless gloves are non functional. I say *snort* ARE TOO! They keep you nice and cozy and still allow you to keep typing (or texting :)  )



Now you want a pair too, right? I know you are super jealous of my toasty wrists. hehe

What you will need:
leg warmers
sewing machine
matching thread
embelishments

I actually bought these leg warmers on black friday at kohls for 1.49. SCORE!


First I measured down 4" and made a mark with my disapearing ink fabric marker thingy (what do you call those markers??)


Slide the leg warmer over the arm of your machine and create a faux button hole. I call it faux because all I actually did was use a tight zig zag stitch to make a rectangle. My button hole maker creates a button hole which is too small for my thumb to fit through comfortably.


Here is another view of the "button hole"


next, rip out the middle of the rectangle with your seam ripper and trim the loose threads and yarn


then trim it up with your scissors  - repeat the entire process for the other leg warmer

After completed I slid these on and realized they came up farther over my fingers than I liked...


So, I folded them down and I liked it much better! I sewed this down just using a straight stitch


I finally chose some beads I thought would make a nice addition. You can really do anything with them though. :)


I turned them into these pretty flowers by hand stitching them down


here I am: warm-wristed blog master!


so cozy!

5 comments:

Lizzy said...

Seriously AWESOME, wish I had the ability to do this! I so need it at work, and home... thanks for sharing!

Fawn Teresi said...

Great Idea :) They turned out cute!

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

This is completely adorable! Well done!

I have a cute valentine tutorial featuring tp rolls on my blog. Stop by and take a peek.

Mo 'Betta said...

So cool! I just bought my daughter some for her birthday...they were called 'arm warmers', at the Children's Place! Never thought about making some!

Kim @ seven thirty three said...

Loving these! Thanks for linking with Sugar & Spice.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...