Monday, February 21, 2011

hooded towel tutorial

I almost did not post this tutorial. The first few photos I had are terrible. I dont know what settings I was using but by the time I fixed it, the first few images were beyond repair. I hope you are cool with it! Sorry! These are SO easy! They make great baby shower gifts, first birthday gifts, etc. My kids love theirs and I have made bunches to give away. They are quick and inexpensive. I hope you will try it!


What you need:
A towel
A matching or coordinating hand towel
embellishments/applique/decorations


Start with the hand towel. Since this was for a baby shower I cut it to 10". For a toddler or older child I usually cut the hand towel in half. The measurement for a bigger child is usually around 14"


Next find the center of your full sized towel. Use the following scientific method:
Fold the towel in half, then mark it with a pin


Find the center of your cut off hand towel the same way and then pin them together


sew the finished edge of the hand towel to the outside of the big towel. I sewed 2 seams for re-enforcement


While you are still looking at the back/outside of the towel, fold the 2 corners of the hand towel down so they meet in the middle and pin


I am sure using a serger here would be awesome but I dont have one so I started with a straight stitch and then sewed a tight zig zag over that


turn the hood right side out. That is IT for the towel! Simple right?? Now you have a blank canvas! In the past I have always added an applique at this point. I have done a few different shapes, crown, car, initials. There are endless possibilities.


I had a few doilies I thought would be cute and vintage-y. I also had this great vintage ribbon I found at a flea market last summer


I love how this one turned out!



Hope you enjoyed!




I even found a picture of some towels I made for my niece and nephews a few Christmases ago...



10 comments:

Grannys Attic said...

How cute is that! I know two little girls that would be so tickled to have one of these for their dolls. Blessings, Vicky

Krafty Kat said...

Super cute! Awesome tutorial too! My girls would love these even though they're a little older (6 & 7). Thanks for linking up!

Jana said...

These looks great! Thanks for linking up over at Giggles, Glitz & Glam!

Jamie said...

Those are so cute.

Jessica @ Sunny Tuesday said...

I have a towel and hand towel that have been waiting for a well-written, easy tutorial to turn them into a hooded towel. LOVE your instructions!

Connie Wallace said...

I have wanted to learn how to make one of these. Thanks for sharing,very cute!
Connie ( The crafterbug)

Marina said...

I Love this! Great tutorial... I need to whip up a few of these!
Mar visiting from Justsewsassy.com

Rachel {BubblyNatureCreations.com} said...

I love the babydoll in the towel... too cute...lol. Thanks for the tutorial... so easy!!!

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

This is so cute!! Thanks for the great tutorial. Really like your blog!!

Michelle@Somedaycrafts said...

Love it with the doily on it! My kids have a couple of hooded towels and we LOVE them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...