Saturday, February 5, 2011

love bugs - tutorial & pattern!! (and cuteness, as promised!)

UPDATE: I have had some emails and comments that the link for the pattern is not working. I believe this is corrected now. If you are unable to download the pattern please email and I will be happy to send it to you! :)


As promised - the infestation is here!! I have officially fallen in love with the little guys (and girls) and I hope you will too!

This is going to be a little long ...bear with me. I started making these and they are SO quick. About 15-20 minutes each. However, I didnt realize how many steps there were until I started taking photos for the tutorial. I tried to be very detailed. Trust me though, it only take about as long to make one as it takes to read this.

Aren't they DARLING?? I made bunches for Elijah to hand out at school as Valentines because if I see one more Mater Valentine I might just puke.


What you will need:
The Love Bug Pattern HERE
A few scraps of coordinating fabric - fat quarters, scraps, whatever you like
needle and thread
pins - they are a pain, but are essential for this
satin cord
polyfil
plastic poly pellets
scissors
lighter or candle
fabric marking pen (or chalk, or pencil)
bead or buttons for eyes (not pictured. whoops)


Start by cutting out your pattern and tracing them onto the right sides of your fabric. Then cut them out. For some of these I made the wings and belly the same and for some I made the face and belly the same. Go with what you like.



Next, Lay the wings and face right sides up. flip the face pieces so they are right side down on the wing



this is the trickiest part of the whole process. line up the corners on the face to the corner of the wing and pin. It is going to curl up some but it isnt too hard to make this work. I used lots of pins to make sure this would stitch together smoothly. Start with pinning each corner, add one in the middle and then 2 more between the outside pins and the middle pin





Time to make the antenna. Cut a 2 pieces of satin cord (mine were probably around 4 inches), tie a knot toward one end


clip it short


next use your lighter to heat seal and melt the end of the cord


If you have ever made synged satin flowers this is the same technique


slide the antenna between the pins like this:


sew the seam. Next place these pieces right sides together and pin. I started by pinning the seams together to make sure they would stay even


add more pins and sew together


place the top of your bug and the belly (circle) right sides together and pin again. I left the opening in the back. See how there is a gap? That is ok. it will take some love to hand stitch these together since they are different lengths but it helps add dimension to the back of you bug. He will look more dome shaped


stitch together and turn right side out. Set him aside. Time to make the guts. I wanted these to have just a little weight to them. Cut out 2 circles (a little smaller than the belly piece) of whatever scraps you have on hand.


Sew them together but leave some opening


fill the pouch with the poly pellets. Dont stuff it tight, it should feel sort of like a beanie baby


sew it shut and trim


add the small pouch of pellets into the bug and lay it flat against the belly side


You can sort of see it in there, right? Just pretend you can.


Put a little polyfil on top of the pellet pouch and stitch him closed


Add some pretty beads to make the eyes


Ta DA!!! LOVE BUG!!



......


...


Now go totally insane and make a boat-load of them!!


curse winter and then determine these cute pictures are totally worth the frost bite!





Please let me know if you try this tutorial!! I hope you enjoyed!

29 comments:

Rachel {BubblyNatureCreations.com} said...

I featured you today on my blog: http://www.bubblynaturecreations.com/2011/02/project-party-weekend-round-up.html

Have a great day!

-Sam said...

So cute! I featured these today on my blog, love them!

http://samanthamcnesby.blogspot.com/2011/02/valentines-day-crafts-round-up.html

Jill said...

Oh these are absolutely gorgeous!! I'm looking for things to make with scraps right now - so I'm going to bookmark these and hopefully get to them in the next couple of weeks! I'll let you know when I try them!

Meanwhile...I'd love if you came over and linked them up to my weekly Round Tuit party at:

http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Hope you have a lovely week!

Jill @ Creating my way to Success

Wendy said...

Yes, your promise was spot on, they are cute! These would also make nice little pin cushions. Thanks for the tute!

dizzytina said...

How cute are those!! I love them thanks so much for sharing tina x x http://scratchycatcrafter.blogspot.com

Cecily said...

These are wonderful, but I can't access the pattern.

Jen said...

Very Sweet! Love! I am a new follower. I hope you come by to say hi.
Cheers!
Jen
www.cariboobutterfly.com

CourtneysMommy said...

LOVE this! I want to try it but it won't let me have the pattern. It says there is something wrong with the page or I don't have permission.

CourtneysMommy said...

it's working now, thank you!! :)

Erin said...

They are so darn cute!!!

LimeRiot said...

These are so stinkin' cute! I'll be making one or two for my "love bug" this year. I think they'd be fun little toys for him to have in his office :). Thanks so much for the tutorial!

LollyChops said...

These are so stinkin cute!!! Thanks for sharing the pattern and awesome tutorial!

HUGS!

StepThruCrazy said...

I made the mistake of showing my girls these, and now they want me to make them for ALL of their classmates for Valentine's Day! I'll let you know if I am crazy enough to do it :)

Jana said...

What a cute little idea! Thanks for linking up over at Giggles, Glitz & Glam!

Be sure to check out this excellent giveaway: http://www.tinyurl.com/froggygirl

Krafty Kat said...

So, so cute! Thanks for showing us how to do it so we can make some too! So glad you linked up to Gettin' Krafty With It!

Sheri@childmade.com said...

These are just adorable! Thanks for sharing! I've posted a link and yours has made this week's top 10 most popular, and will be featured in this week's newsletter! Great job!

Diana said...

HI, nice to meet you. These are so cute and I have a ton of material. I think I will try some.
Drop by my blog anytime.

Diana

The Loops said...

I really appreciate your detailed instructions. I am learning how to sew and I would love to try these! I'm your newest follower. I'd love for you to visit!

http://theloops13.blogspot.com/

~Beth D. said...

Couldn't wait to post! I am in the process of making these for my sons class. Thank you so much. so far, easy! I'll come back and post pictures of the finished project by V-day!

The Little Bird said...

omg I love these!!!! I have just made two.. the first one i was so impatient i didn't read the instructions so he's just got poly fill, but the second one has the bean pouch, and if i make more i will put beans in all the more because i like the weightyness it gives them, but they are so cute!! do you want to see pics?

~Beth D. said...

Here is my first one! So cute: http://bethstherapy.blogspot.com/

Naturally Me Creations said...

AAAWWW!!!!!!!!! This is too cute! :D I'll HAVE to ask someone to make me some of these, i can't sew...this is just so cute...! :D

~Beth D. said...

http://bethstherapy.blogspot.com/2011/02/lots-of-love-bugs.html

here they are! My finger hurts from hand sewing them all closed. But they are super cute and well received by my sons class.

Thanks!

Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims said...

These are the cutest little bugs I have ever seen.
Loving it!!!!

Jill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jill said...

Hello! I'm visiting from The Girl Creative. These bugs are so super cute! I bet my little girl would have fun with these. :) Great job with the tutorial, too; the little bugs look really easy to do.
--Jill
jillmadeit.blogspot.com

oldee said...

hi..
just love your work...

Heidi said...

Very cute! First time seeing your blog. Just a thought. You think adding popery in with the stuffing would make a good smelling love bug? Just thinking it would be a cute baby shower gift. Thanks!

Carrie Whittemore said...

What an absolutely adorable creation and SUPER tutorial! Thanks so much for sharing. I loved it so much that I featured it on my blog about buggy crafts with a direct link back here http://whittskitsfabricscrafts.blogspot.com/2013/04/find-it-for-free-friday-bugs-bugs-more.html

Thanks again, Carrie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...