Friday, March 11, 2011

anthropologie inspired necklace tutorial

So, I have a few confessions... I had never, ever heard of anthropologie before I started blog stalking reading craft blogs. I also very rarely VERY RARELY wear necklaces...buuuuttt...I really loved this pretty necklace on the anthro web site and thought - hey I know I can make something similar.

anthropologie spectrum frenzy necklace




here is my version.  obviously different but definitely inspired by anthro!! you want to make one, right?? you are in luck! i am in tutorial mode today!

i started with a package of mixed beads (mostly glass) I bought from hobby lobby. i liked the pink and green color. this part took longer than making the necklace! i had to separate all of the beads before i could start. i used this ice cube tray to help me out. i dont have a crimping tool but it certainly would have been helpful for this! basically you just need beads, crimp beads, pliers or crimping tool and jewelry wire.


you'll want to start by making a loop. this will be the "clasp" for your necklace. start with a crimp bead then choose a few coordinating beads and add them next


make a loop and slide your wire back through the crimp bead. crimp. (or squish it together with pliers)


next add a few beads to start off the strand. you can really choose whatever you like here. you could even start right in making the loops (below) and skip this part


once you have this a length you like choose a "neutral" color bead and add a couple of them. i chose the brownish-gold for this necklace. i added three and then added several beads of the color i used to make the first loop.


after you have your loop the desired length bring the wire back through the last "neutral" colored bead to make a loop.


pull it kind of tight, if you let it get loose it gets hairy


keep adding, a few neutral beads and then a new color for the next loop. i didnt use the same number of neutral beads every time. I used between 0 and 3 each time. this helps make the loops be a little messy. you dont want them too uniform


keep going!


once you have decided that is enough of that recreate the same pattern from step one. then add a crimp bead and a larger bead (this bead needs to fit through the "clasp loop" you made at the beginning). i had to use a small bead between the large bead and the crimp bead to keep the big bead from falling over the crimp bead. there are many ways you can make this work.


next bring the wire back through the big bead and crimp bead, pull it taunt and crimp!


tuck the end of the wire into the beads behind it.


admire your work!




so there! i would love to know what you think!!

18 comments:

Digital Misfit said...

Love this! Great tute! Thank you for sharing :)

caroleleah said...

Very cute! Lovin' the pink and green TY for sharing!

Dawn said...

Love this, I make jewelry also and can't wait to give this a try. Thanks for posting.
I am your newest follower, found you from the DIY blog link up.
Stop by my place and have a look some time. :)
http://creativecaincabin.blogspot.com

Theresa @ Just Call Me "T" said...

That is SUPER cute! Great tutorial. I have all the stuff for this too, so I may try it over Spring Break. :D

(found you through TGC's Just Something I Whipped Up linky)

DANA said...

I found this post through Making the World Cuter and wanted to say how much I like it! I would also love for you to link up with me at Saturday Mornings if you haven't been by yet! Everyone is welcome and prizes are awarded monthly to those who join in! Here is the link if you want to "Strut Your Stuff!"

http://www.thesaturdaymorningsblog.com/2011/03/strut-your-stuff-for-march-link-up_12.html

Rachel said...

I LOVE IT! I am glad I stopped in, I bead on a RARE occasion and this looks like a project with my name on it- I love necklaces!!!! And the loopty loops are so unique!!! Thanks for posting it step by step!!!!
Visiting from Craft-O-Maniac's blog party! Stop by and visit me @ cookscleansplayswithpaper.blogspot.com !!!

Stephanie Smith said...

This is really cute. I am like you, I didn't know about Anthropology until reading other blogs either, but I would definitely like to try to recreate some of the stuff on there.

Tiff @ Making The World Cuter said...

SUPER cute! Such a clever knock off! Thanks for sharing! :)

Karen said...

So cute! I love knock offs. Great job:) Thanks for sharing the tute!

LP aka A Crafty Southern Chick said...

I wasn't a huge Anthropologie follower until blogging either :) Definitely did a great job on your necklace!

Krafty Kat said...

How cute! I'm not much of a necklace wearer or big on Anthro stuff but it looks great! I love how colorful it is. Thanks for linking up!

Heather said...

I would love you to share this great tutorial on our blog party today! http://500dollarwedding.blogspot.com/2011/04/wednesday-blog-party-1.html

Make handmade said...

Great tutorial. Love it, thanks for sharing

1129design said...

thank you! I'll have to try this! I made a anthropologie inspired bracelet with cardboard, if you want to see: http://1129designorecchinigioielli.blogspot.com/2011/11/bracciale-di-cartone-con-fiocco-al.html
best nicoletta (italy)

Inora said...

I love it very much! Maybe I missed it somewhere, but do you remember how much wire you started with? I'm not sure how much to cut off :)

Wonder Dust said...

Thank you for sharing! I love the very detailed and comprehensive instructions. I would love to feature this tutorial on our blog someday.


Thanks,
Diybeadingclub.com
Diylessons.org
Handmade-Jewelry-Club.com

Anonymous said...

I had seen this Anthropologie Necklace some time ago and wondered how it was done... thank you for sharing the technique!!!!

GirlDia said...

Can't wait to try it, thank a million for posting this!!! I love, love, love this necklace and can't find it anywhere....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...