here is the sweet .99 cent clutch I got from the thrift store months ago.
so...why I have I been waiting so long to create this??? Honestly? I could NOT find a vintage book, you know the hard backs that are cloth covered? I could not find one in the appropriate size or color. But I really wanted to use the clutch for this post so I improvised and covered a plain old book with fabric! WAHHOO! I LOVE the results!
DISCLAIMER: If you are my grandma - please be warned I am going to "destroy" a perfectly good book.
DISCLAIMER 2: If you are my sister - please be warned I am going to "de-face" currency
So, how did I make my version of Kate's amazing clutch??
I started with the following goodies:
99 cent clutch
book. Dont worry! It isnt a cool vintage book! It is a boring college book. see? It's ok.
adhesive - I used E-6000
embellishments - I used some synged satin circles to make a flower
step 1. DESTROY THAT BOOK! very therapeutic.
"measure" your fabric
coat the outside of the book cover with mod podge
smooth the fabric over the book. be sure to press it into the creases of the spine. get all the air bubbles!
I put the pages back in and squeezed it down to make sure i had the stretch/shape just right
Flip it over and cut a few slits where the spine is. Like this:
mod podge the fabric into the cover
I didnt take a pic of the gluing process but you just glue in the clutch
I added the penny so the project would cost the full 100 pennies!
The big bummer. this is just about 1/8" too short to hold a kindle. I think it would be a GREAT kindle case!
I hope you like it!!
PS~ I am giving it away here