Thursday, April 28, 2011

magnetic bow tie tutorial

This boy is

silly
handome
loving
kind
energy
dirt
artistic
smart
hilarious
jokster
my.
favorite.
boy.


What isnt he? He is not the kind of kid that appreciates a suit. Our church is a pretty laid back place. I thought I would create something VERY E like for him to wear on Easter. I bought him some fancy {since they are plaid they are obviously fancy} shorts and a pale yellow t shirt. I planned to applique a necktie but suddenly the creative juices started flowing and he ended up wearing this super fun magnetic bow tie. And now you can make one too!!

You will need:
hot glue
2 pieces of fabric
(I am having a hard time remembering the dimensions
and I didnt write them down.
I think the bigger one was around 15"-18" long by 5" wide.
The smaller piece was 3" x 4" (ish) )
magnets
thread
rotary cutter or scissors
sewing machine/thread
Optional - matching paint (not pictured, you will see how I used it later)


start by sewing the longer piece into a tube right sides together. 1/2" seam allowance here


turn it right side out and press with the seam in the middle


Then I folded it over like this:


I overlapped a little


squish it together


add hot glue and squish it back into place


while it dries sew and press the smaller piece of fabric in the same way


then glue it to the center of the bow



tuck the end under and glue it all down


tada!


somehow I dont have a pic of the magnet gluing but you get the idea, glue 1 of the magnets to the back of the tie. The other will go inside the shirt


I discovered after I had it all together that the black from the magnet really stuck out so I found some coordinating paint and fixed that. (yes, I used fabric paint...it is what I had in the right color. Acrylic would probably be better) 


now stick it to the most adorable boy you can find


...


and take as many cute pics as possible while he is willing to smile!



14 comments:

Beth Eaton said...

That is really cute!! Thanks for sharing!

La Gata Flora said...

hahahahah so so so sweet!!! thank you for sharing! as always.

Kisses!

vanesa.

Chris said...

Very cute!

Maridith @ Strictly Homemade said...

Cute, cute!! Maybe my son would of worn his Easter tie had it been magnet. Great idea!!

~*Jess*~ said...

Another awesome idea. You rock Tai!

Janlynn said...

What a great idea. So cute. and so is the bow tie. Yes take lots of pictures now because before you know it they are all grown up.

Celeste said...

I love this... Thank you so much for the tutorial.
I am new follower from the linking party ar Flamingo Toes.... Wouls love for you to visit my blog.
www.touchedbyabutterfly.blogspot.com

Just Jaime said...

Very cute! Great idea. I love your glue gun =)

rachel said...

cute! I love bow ties!

Jana said...

What a great idea!! :) Thanks for linking up over at Giggles, Glitz & Glam!

Karen @ Goodbyecityhellosuburb said...

I wish I had seen this sooner I would have made one for my son for Easter! I would love it if you would share this with Workshop Wednesday!

Pink Cake Plate said...

You’ve been awarded! Visit http://pinkcakeplate.com/cake/my-first-blog-award/ for more details!

Michelle@Somedaycrafts said...

He is cute. I wish my son would keep a tie on. He tears it off the minute I put one on him!

Krafty Kat said...

A-dorable! Thanks for sharing this!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...