Monday, July 18, 2011

butterfly bookbag tutorial

hello? ...I have been so MIA! Summer! ahhhhhhh....you know the feeling right? lotsa busy, fun and craziness! I HAVE been making some stuff though! promise to post more soon...or in September. hehehe...

But today I have a tutorial for you! How to create and add butterfly wings to a backpack. Is it a backpack or book bag? Dora says backpack but I say for school it is called a book bag. I will probably call it by both names off and on for the rest of this post. What do you think? Cute right??


Start with:
a book bag
fusible quilters batting
about a quarter yard of fabric
a wing pattern.(I free handed mine) 


fold the fabric right sides together and trace the wing twice. you want to trace once then flip the pattern over and trace again around the opposite side then cut them out


next trace the batting with the same pattern but when you cut it out cut about 1/4-1/2" smaller all the way around


sew the fabric right sides together. 1/4" seam allowance. leave the narrow part of the wing open. turn right side out.


Then stuff the batting into the wing and smooth it out.


repeat for the other wing


fold the open part inside


press the wings


like this:


use an invisible seam to close up the open parts


this part is optional but next I used a decorative stitch around the edge. some sort of top stitch makes it look a little more finished


I didnt take a picture of the next step. What I did was pin (above you can see the pins) and just use a regular straight stitch (black thread to match the fabric) on the inside and outside of the decorative stitch. You can see (sort of) how it is attached in the last picture. Maybe not...


Last step...paste it on the nearest cutie

26 comments:

Lizzy said...

YAY for a new blog post! LOVE, the last picture of your cutie, Lauren! AWESOME job on the butterfly! LOVE. Butterflies! :) :)

Brit @ JandMs Eye Candy said...

What an awesome idea, and just in time to start getting ready for back to school! Love how it turned out, my daughter is going to think this rocks. Thanks for sharing.
Britney
www.jandmseyecandy.blogspot.com

SouthernScraps said...

Fabulous! I adore your butterfly book bag.

Staci said...

Love! What a cute idea!

Evan Becky said...

Oh now that's cute!

Coley said...

Oh my gosh, that's adorable! Too bad I don't have a daughter! ;)

Katie said...

This is super cute & original! I'd love if you would join us over at Sew Woodsy and link up this project!

Chameleon Girls said...

This is soooo cute. I wish I had a little one to make one for.
chameleongirls.blogspot.com

Melanie said...

I love this post! Might look for some mark-down bookbags after the post-back-to-school-season sales start to make these for all my nieces!


bearrabbitbear.wordpress.com

The Tootsie Wootsie said...

what a great way to dress up that book bag!!! love how girly it made it!

come link it to my woot woot wednesday linky party!

http://tootsiewootsieboutique.blogspot.com/2011/07/woot-woot-wednesdays-2.html

Michelle said...

LOVE THIS!!! So cute!!!! I am visiting from Someday Crafts and I am a new follower!! Hope you have a great week and that I see you around soon!!
Michelle
www.delicateconstruction.blogspot.com

Lesley Litrento said...

Genius!! I wish my daughter was still young enough to love this..... I am going to show her this and see if she wants to do it. Fingers crossed.

the cape on the corner said...

oh my gosh, HOW adorable!

Rachel at Sun Scholars said...

Absolutely adorable!!!! I'm adding this to my Back To School Inspirations post, which I'll share in the next week or two. Thanks so much for sharing this at For the Kids Fridays at Sun Scholars. I'm thrilled to have you as part of our community! :)

http://SunScholars.blogspot.com

Rose and Heather said...

So cute I love it so much. I think I will make the wings for my 1 year old to ware on Halloween.

now following you
Rose and Heather http://sewstylishboutique.blogspot.com/

Donna said...

how cute! I bet my 5yo niece would LOVE this, she loves butterflies...thanks for sharing!!

The Autocrat: Haley said...

Oh my goodness!! That is so super cute!

Rachel said...

Cute! I love the tutorial as well... the directions are very clear. I would love it if you would stop by the crafty link party I am just starting and link up this post!
http://linesacrossmyface.blogspot.com/2011/07/craft-link-party-1-cure-for-common.html
:)Rachel

Confessions of a Stay at Home Mommy said...

This is the cutest thing EVER! I would be thrilled if you would link up to my Tuesday Confessional linky party going on now: http://www.craftyconfessions.com/2011/07/tuesday-confessional-link-up-party.html
See you soon!
~Macy

Karima said...

What a great idea! saw you on link party, now following you via google and fb, Karima x www.karimascrafts.com

Faith, Trust, and a Little Pixie Dust said...

What a creative idea. AND I didn't even know about fusible quilter's batting! Awesome. Thanks so much for linking it up to Fab Friday!

Warmly, Michelle

Amanda said...

This is so precious!

I run Fun Family Crafts, a library of craft tutorials geared at kids of all ages. I would love it if you'd stop by and submit this to be featured! (I link to you, I don't post your tutorial on the site) Feel free to submit as many kid friendly craft tutorials as you like! http://funfamilycrafts.com/

Melanie @ bear rabbit bear said...

Love this post and your blog! I'm your newest follower- I'd love if you'd stop by and follow, too!

I am having my first linky party on Thursday and would love for you to come link your awesome craft! It's a party only for kids and teens crafts, so this is perfect to share on Thursday for our first "Crafts for the Under Twenty-Something" linky party!

Thanks for sharing!

bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com

Jacque said...

I love this idea! Course; my girls are not yet old enough to go to school but when they do, I will have to do this with their backpacks.
Thanks for sharing!

I'm your newest follower.

Jacque @ Jacque's Soda Parlor
thesodaparlor.blogspot.com

Feel free to stop by my blog anytime. I would love to see you there!


P.S. I host a link party every Sunday, if you care to join me. I'm sure the ladies would love to see any of your crafts!

Amy (naptimecrafters) said...

Still one of my absolute favs- Thanks for auditioning for American Crafter!

Anonymous said...

wholesale nike nfl jerseys axiotakix
Women's Eli Manning Jersey axiotakix
Larry Fitzgerald Jersey axiotakix
http://www.authenticnikebuccaneersjersey.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...