Friday, August 26, 2011

memory game: sight word edition

Happy Friday! Can you believe it is almost September? Wasn't it just April? My oldest started Kindergarten this week. I had a major breakdown. You know all that momma stuff.

I know he is going to be working on sight words and out teacher told us not to make flashcards from the list, the kids will be making their own in class but I still wanted to try a fun way to learn words. We happen to have 2 memory games in the closet so here is what I came up with:

All I did was separate the cards into matching pairs and write the word that goes with the picture on the back of one of them.


The kids can play partners like a regular matching game or use lines to match them up like below if they want to play alone. You could lay them on a large paper and draw lines or cut pieces of string to use for lines


fun right? This should help learn some words!


Just one picture of an excited little man ready for the bus. I am so depressed proud!

15 comments:

The Miller's @ Prezidential Life said...

great idea!!!!!!!! I love simple ideas that require little time with BIG impact. you nailed it! really!

thanks
the miller's
prezidential life

Steph @ Crafting in the Rain said...

I think it's a great idea--and we have that same game :)

Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas said...

what a fun way to review sight words. My oldest is on K and we are working hard on learning to read so this is fabulous for us!

Would love for you to link u to my weekly child centered linky party - The Sunday Showcase (open thru Thurs.) http://momto2poshlildivas.blogspot.com/search/label/Sunday%20Showcase

Bern

Big D and Me said...

Cute game - those would be perfect if you put magnets on the back - he could match them up on the fridge but also create some simple sentences with the additional of "the", "a" etc

Gabrielle said...

What a cute idea! My son is just starting to work on his sight words. This will be a great addition to our games. I found you via Craft-O-Maniac's linkup.

Tonia @ TheGunnySack.com said...

I love this idea! Kids seem to learn better when they have the picture and the word! I want to invite you to link up to my brand, spankin new link party!

Erica @ Doodles and Doilies said...

This is a great idea! I hope you will link this to my Delight Me party over at Doodles & Doilies!

Chef in Training said...

this is a great idea! thanks for sharing!

I would love it if you would share this and/or any other projects you have been up to at Tuesday Talent Show at Chef In Training! Plus there is a fun giveaway too! Thanks so much and I hope to see you there!
-Nikki
http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com

~*Jess*~ said...

Awww! Our babies are getting so big Tai!

bailey k. said...

such a great idea!

Nicolette @ Momnivore's Dilemma said...

Why make flashcards when there's so much more fun to be had with sight words. This is case in point that a little ingenuity goes a long way with teaching our kids. Pinned over in my teaching files at Pinterest.


If you have a moment today, please share this with my readers @Creative Juice Thursday Hope to see you there!

Melissa @ Love Affair With My Brother said...

great idea!

Danielle said...

My baby just started kindergarten too - I am making these for sure! I'll have to come up with my own graphics but I love the concept!!

Eve said...

What a brilliant idea. I will keep this idea on file for use in the future.

Stop by and enter my Giveaway for a custom made pinstripe skirt.

http://theorchardinbloom.blogspot.com/2011/08/pinstripe-skirt-giveaway.html

Danielle said...

I wanted to let you know that I featured this on my "What I Bookmarked This Week" post today. Stop by and see!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...