Wednesday, October 5, 2011

a butterfly costume - part 2 - the tutu skirt

Happy Wednesday Friends!! I am ready to show you part 2 of Lauren's butterfly Halloween Costume! If you missed part one check it out here.

Also to recap, according to Lauren a butterfly costume has:

1. butterfly wings
2. matching tutu skirt
3. antennas
4. "wings on my eyes"

here is the cuteness!

For the tutu style skirt here is what you need:
*fabrics, tulle, ribbon, etc. It is a scrappy style tutu
*scissors and sewing supplies, lighter
*a small chair
*no roll elastic
*cardboard



I know there are many tutorials out there for making this style tutu but here is another. That way you dont have to go searching for one

Measure your child's waist and cut your elastic. I have seen some tutorials say cut it 1" shorter than the waist some say longer. I just went with a little shorter because I tend to tie these too tight and so the elastic is stretched a bit

Anyhow, cut it and sew with a zig zag stitch. This is the only sewing so feel free to hand stitch or just tie it in a know to make it no sew


Decide how long you want the skirt to be. I decided 7"-9" would be good. I have this cardboard already cut to 18". cut the board about 2 times plus 2 inches longer than you want the tutu to be


I cut all of my fabrics (some knit, tulle and the ribbon) using this method. all tulle and knit 6" wide. TIP buy the tulle on the 6" rolls. Saves lots of cut time. Then just wrap it around the cardboard and secure it to the cardboard with elastic headbands. Then clip the ends. (sorry no picture of this step)


After I cut the ribbons I heat sealed all of the ends


Now you have a big pile of strips all 18" long. You will need way more than you think you need


place your elastic around the chair. For a smaller tutu I used to put the elastic around the top of my leg. I definitely prefer that method but she is too big now. 


now for the knots. make a loop in front of the elastic with the ends up


put your fingers through the loop and reach behind the elastic and pull the ends through


tighten - but not too tight


keep going. I didnt go in any real pattern


Use all of the fabrics all the way around


And then add the ribbons. I used a more secure knot for them because they kept coming loose.

Now you have a super cute tutu skirt!


It matches the mask nicely!


22 comments:

Lizzy said...

So darn cute, I know she'll look great in it! Thanks again so much for sharing that gift (creativity) from God! :)

Wholesome Mother said...

So cute Tai! Your little butterfly is going to be more than beautiful.

Amanda @ The Little Giggler said...

So cute!! I love your blog! I just found you on Fireflies and Jellybeans. :)

Anabella said...

I love it!! And I'm going to make it (black and orange for my girl)!!! I was soo looking for a tutorial like this!! (Following you now!!)

Andrea said...

So pretty! I just learned how to make tutus and both my girls have one for their Halloween costume. I love all the ribbon you used!
www.addicted2tutes.blogspot.com

Courtney McAulay said...

This is so awesome! I just love it! I would love if you would come share this at The Crazy Cute Link Party @ Between U & Me! :D

http://www.betweenuandme.com/2011/10/crazy-cute-link-party-22.html

Anne @ Modern Mrs Darcy said...

I was just in line with a lady at the fabric store who was having yards and yards of brightly colored tulle cut to make a skirt just like this--but I've never made one, and was hoping to find a tutorial online. But look--that tutorial found me!

I get it now, it looks so fun and easy to make. I love the way you incorporated the ribbons, too!

Kara @ Mine for the Making said...

Super cute! Visiting from TT&J! I have a weekly fashion linky party that runs Th-M. I would love for you to link up at DIY Diva Thursdays :)

Kara
www.mineforthemaking.com

Mommy Minded said...

I am featuring your printables on my blog today! Thank you so much for sharing them with us!

Megan

Etcetorize said...

This is super cute...and a great step by step tutorial! I'd love for you to come over to Etcetorize tonight to share it at the linky party (etcetorize.blogspot.com) ~

Nikki@EverythingUndertheMoon said...

I LOVE the colors you used! This is so great! Would love it if you would stop by and share these at my linky party. http://everything-underthemoon.blogspot.com/2011/10/bedazzle-me-monday-3.html

Hope to see you there!!

Cecily said...

Super cute! And the two pieces together are just plain fab! Love it!

Mandi@MandiBeingCrafty said...

How adorable! I love it! Thanks for sharing!

paige said...

great job! love the colors. i have 2 boys they prob would not go for this! it doesnt come w/ a helmet does it??

Just Jaime said...

How cute! Love the different colors and the ribbons!

I stubmled this

Anonymous said...

Turned out great and matches the mask perfectly!!

www.thegirlandhersewingmachine.blogspot.com

All Artful said...

TUTU CUTE!!! Pun intended :)

The Atypical Housewife said...

Stopping by from the Don't Waste Your Homemaking link up. What a cute tutu!! I love the butterfly costume idea, way too cute!

Sparta Savings said...

This is so cute! Thanks for sharing! I came over from We Did It Wednesday!

Cheryl said...

Love it! I came over from the DWYH link-up. Your latest follower.

lisaplus6 said...

I LOVE it :) and your blog, too... i shared your blog on my post here... http://createfor7.blogspot.com/2011/10/happy-homemaker-monday.html
have a beautiful day!

indoor entrance matting said...

Super cute, I learned a very good lesson from this article and that is some learning experience we can not encountered it. For me It is very inspirational.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...