Monday, October 17, 2011

make a mummy necklace!

Hi! It's Monday again! WHEW!! THis month is flying by!
Today I am hoping to give you a little inspiration to make a sweet little Halloween necklace!

Here are the top three reasons this project rocks like fraggles:

1. It is FAST. We are talking less than 15 minutes. yessss.
2. It is cheap. Mine was totally free since I had all of this stuff around. You probably have all or most of it laying around too
3. It is a great necklace for boys and girls alike

You will have to excuse this flash (GASP) photography. I have NO good lighting in the house at night and let's face it. Most craftin' 'round these parts takes place at night.

Well, you want to make one dont you?? 


Here is what you need:

Glue
A square or rectangle piece of wood from the craft wood section
(is that a real thing? craft wood section?)
A ball chain
(or ribbon, string, whatever)
google eyes
jump ring
jewelry pliars
(or thumbs)
A drill or dremel tool

and the secret ingredient???
THREAD TAPE
yep, I am talking about that stuff your husband puts around thread on a pipe before he puts the new shower head or faucet on


Start by drilling a small hole in the top of the wood. Or ask hubby to do it because he is super posessive of his stuff. Whatever.


add some glue to the wood


Start wrapping the thread tape around the square. This stuff is a little tricky to work with. It isnt sticky but it sticks to itself like really thin plastic wrap. Just go slow. After you get around the middle sto and glue on your google eyes


Then keep wrappin'


and wrappin...  this photo is where I started noticing during the editing process that the little dude has his eyes following me. HA!


Add some glue to the back and kinda sqish it down. I rubbed a little glue all over the back to help seal it up.


next use a tooth pick to find and poke through the hole you drilled


See him looking at me??


twist the jump ring open. You should never pull the ring open . twist it like this so the ring is easy to close and you dont weaken it. You could probably pull it apart with your thumbs. just be sure to twist like this


Add the ball chain and you have yourself a mummy necklace!


Please excuse the pictures of these little weirdos. If you met their dad you'd understand...



boy child seems to think wearing a mummy necklace means you MUST act like a mummy


yeah, he is so strange.



Happy Halloween!!!! I hope you like my little tutorial! :)

32 comments:

Lizzy said...

super cute!. <3

Angela B said...

Great project! We will defiantly try this one.

Stacey said...

Stopping over from Sugar Bee Crafts. These are seriously adorable. I need to make my little guys a set.

Nicole [The Lovely Poppy] said...

so cute! i'm having a huge ($100) giveaway over at my blog and would love for you to stop by and check it out!! http://thelovelypoppy.blogspot.com/2011/10/blog-follower-giveaway.html

Beverly {Flamingo Toes} said...

This is so fun Tai!! I love how quick it is - and it's so cute too!! ;)

Tracy Rogers said...

Oh my gosh, this is SO cute!!!! My son would love it...Found you on TCB ;)

xo

Sailing with bare feet said...

I love it !!! So cute !!
I am currently 24 weeks pregnant and I love getting idea's for when our little girl is older !

Melanie @ Whimsical Creations said...

What a super cute idea!!

I am LOVD said...

Oh this is too cute! I'm bookmarking this idea for January because my son's school does something called a Mummy Wrap. The kids in the class would go googly-eyed over this. Thanks!

Gina @ MoneywiseMoms said...

I love this! Thanks for posting a craft that is good for a boy. It's so hard to find them!

Army Wife Quilter said...

the mummies are so cute. thanks I think I will make one. my kids will love it.

Helby said...

That's adorable! Great job.

Dorothy said...

This is so cute! I have just about everything I need to make these. Thanks so much for the idea. So cute!

J's mom said...

Love it! Please post this, and anything else you may have,in my link party at
http://diycraftstomake.blogspot.com/

Thanks,

Peggy

Cap Creations said...

That's pretty cute!

Lorie said...

Cute necklace and cute models too! Lorie @ Reading Confetti

The Zoo Keeper said...

This is an awesome idea!!! Thanks so much for sharing!!!

Candy said...

Such a great idea and I love the use of plumbers tape!

Craft 4 Change said...

Cute, cute, cute! I wish I'd seen this sooner for my kid's crafts I teach (the boys would have LOVED them!)...I'll keep it in mind for next year! Thanks for sharing. ~~Robyne~~

Mindie Hilton said...

Love this fun necklace. I would love for you to share your tallents at my weekly linky party, up now, come strut your stuff.

http://bacontimewiththehungryhypo.blogspot.com/

Rachel said...

What a fun project! And don't worry all my kids are just as silly.
Rachel
adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com

Maureen said...

So super cute! I love it :)
Found you on Be Different Act Normal!
-Maureen
http://www.releasemecreations.com

Kara said...

So, so cute! Love the faces your kiddos are pulling. LOL!
I will be featuring this tomorrow at Creations by Kara. :)

Georgia said...

Oh my gosh! He is so cute! I used your idea of the plumber's tape on my mummy spoolie and he turned out excellent! I put your pic and a link on my blog because I liked it so much. You have some real cute ideas and I will be back often.

Diana said...

This is adorable - thanks for the tutoria - will have to make one for my grandkids

Kaitlin Saenz said...

This is too cute! I'm hosting a Fabulous Fall party over at Not So Simple Housewife and I'd love for you to link this up! We are celebrating Fall and giving me and everybody else some great inspiration. We are looking for crafts, decor, food, and more! I'd love for you to add this and any other fall posts you may have!

Kaitlin-The Not So SImple Housewife
http://notsosimplehousewife.blogspot.com/2011/10/fabulous-fall-link-party.html

Amanda said...

Just stopping by to let you know that I have featured your project on Fun Family Crafts! You can see it here
http://funfamilycrafts.com/mummy-necklace/

If you have other kid friendly crafts, I'd love it if you would submit them :) If you would like to display a featured button on your site, you can grab one from the right side bar of your post above.

LessonPlans-CraftGossip said...

Such a cute craft! Your kids are adorable too :)
Just posted about this on Craft Gossip! Keep creating and have a Happy Halloween!

http://lessonplans.craftgossip.com/?p=4991

Angela B. said...

Cute idea, could even make it cheaper and pick up the free counter top sample cards from Home Depot or Lowes instead of buying the wood pieces.

Kelly Spence said...

How cute! I'd love to link to this project on our DIY jewelry site, AllFreeJewelryMaking.com, directing readers back to your tutorial. Let me know what you think!

Thanks for sharing :)

Kelly Spence, Editor
AllFreeJewelryMaking.com

Kelly Spence, Editor said...

Whoops, you can contact me at kspence@primecp.com :)

The Zaugg family said...

i just made these for my kids and niece and nephews. they are so cute and not hard to make. thanks for this they are going to love them.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...